Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How to get Expansion Pack to work?

How to get Expansion Pack to work? 3 years 10 months ago #528

• Baraboylover
  • New Twink
Everytime I activate a game on PDB Starter, when it's reaches 100% installation, it freezes and closes out on me. The game is installed into a new file however, so I can techinically play the game. However, because of PDB Starter always crashing after installing a game, I think it doesn't register it as "activated". I've entered in my serial codes and they do start the installations, however I am assuming because it keeps crashing before fully completing an installation, the game doesn't register as being "activated". I've tried installing the expansion pack, but I am unable to do so because PDB Starter doesn't recognize PDB05 as being activated even though I already have the files for the game installed. FYI, I am running on Windows Vista, if that somehow factors into the problem.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to get Expansion Pack to work? 3 years 10 months ago #529

• Baraboylover
  • New Twink
Other than that, I've stumbled upon the Knowledgebase and I will try out the solutions on there.

How to get Expansion Pack to work? 3 years 10 months ago #530

• Liam
  • OONYX TEAM
  • Thank you received: 228
Hi,
Sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. I also read your support ticket but thought it better to respond to this problem here so that other people might profit from it. (when we resolve the problem)

The problem you are experiencing is indeed caused by the activation process failing. This causes the demo ending to full versions as they aren't activated by the failure.
So just to be sure, let me first recap a post from the knowledge base (I know you've read it ;) )

Please follow the next few steps.
1. Did you change the default install directory?
When PDB starter is installed within one of the windows system directories, like the program files directory, windows will limit the operation of PDB starter. Updating, downloading and activating a edition will then NOT work as windows doesn't allow PDB Starter to change & create other files into those protected directories. If you didn't change the installation directory during the installation setup or manually afterwards, this shouldn't be the case.
2. Run PDB Starter as administrator.
Try running PDB Starter as administrator by right clicking the desktop icon and choosing "Run As Admin"
3. Check your firewall & virusscanner.
Try running PDB Starter with your virus scanner/firewall temporarily turned off. If you don't want to/cannot turn it off, you likely can add an exception rule for PDB starter. Look in your virus scanner/firewall manual on how to do that.

Ok, the above steps work for 99% of the users reporting this problem. The fact that it doesn't for you can be caused by lot's of different reasons, but is still likely to be caused by Windows.
The activating process failing at the end basically means that PDB Starter wasn't able to either load, write to and/or save the data about your activation to the database. So we'll need to find out what is blocking/limiting which files.

So let's start with a suspected cause of your problem, the file access settings.
- Open the default installation directory of PDB Starter. "C:/OONYX Games/PocketDate Boy Starter
- Right click the file "gbase.atp" and select "properties"
- Make sure the "read only" and "hidden" properties are turned off (Not selected)
- Save the properties and do these steps also for the files "glist.atp" and "settings.atp"

Now please run PDB Starter again and try activating the edition again.

Let me know if this works for you or not so we can continue with the next step if needed
OONYX GAMES TEAM MEMBER

Need technical support? Don't forget the search function or make a post on our forum. Need billing support? Then create a supportticket
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by Liam.

How to get Expansion Pack to work? 3 years 10 months ago #531

• Baraboylover
  • New Twink
Tried it, doesn't work. :(
Also, would it matter if I was trying to install it on an external hard drive? Just in case, I also have the PDB folder in my C: drive as well.

How to get Expansion Pack to work? 3 years 10 months ago #538

• kota
  • OONYX TEAM
  • Thank you received: 76
Hi,

Can you check the same but then for the whole oonyx games directory, by right clicking the C:/OONYX Games directory and making sure the "read only" & "hidden" fields are unselected.

It shouldn't really matter that you installed PDB starter on a external drive as long as the directory it is in, isn't set as a windows system directory. (like program files, users and all of those) and your windows/virusscanner doesn't limit/control the access to the external drive.
To be sure that it isn't that case, you could try installing PDB Starter in the default directory (use the setup again) and see if activating than works. If it does, you've found the cause of the problem.
OONYX GAMES TEAM MEMBER

Need technical support? Don't forget the search function or make a post on our forum.
Need billing support? Then create a supportticket
Last Edit: 3 years 10 months ago by kota.

How to get Expansion Pack to work? 3 years 10 months ago #545

• Baraboylover
  • New Twink
I've done a little bit of research. It seem Windows likes to automatically set all folders to "read only". Even when I try unchecking the box for the attribute, the folder still stays as "read only". I'm trying to use the command prompt to disable the "read only" attribute but have so far been unsuccessful. Individual files will have the "read only" attribute" disabled, but not the folders. The following 2 commands are what I used:

C:\Users\User>diskpart
DISKPART> select volume 4 (one of my USB flash drives where I'm trying to install the game on)
Volume 4 is the selected volume.
DISKPART> attributes disk clear readonly
Disk attributes cleared successfully.

Everything has "read only" disabled except for folders. I've also tried using the "attrib -r +s" command but haven't had much success with it either due to the "Parameter format not correct" error. I've tried to install the game again, but PDB Starter still closes out on me before fully installing.
  • Page: